CC Outtake: 1975 Mercury Marquis Brougham – Uncle Buck Goes To The Opera

Terminal November, Vince C. profiled "The Cars Of John Hughes' Movies" (which was / is a must-read).  Having been a kid who spent the biggest chunk of my childhood in the '80s, the tardily, groovy John Hughes has long been one of my favorite filmmakers, and I could lookout man any combination of his pictures in an all-twenty-four hours Sabbatum marathon on most any given weekend.  I love that many of Mr. Hughes' movies were set in and around Chicagoland, which I have called home for what has at present been over a third of my life.

Just a few weeks ago, while I was in southwest Florida, this fine specimen of a '75 (or so) Mercury Marquis made its presence known in traffic.  I immediately thought of the titular grapheme of "Uncle Buck" portrayed past John Candy, and his like-era, smoke-belching Marquis – which was as well chocolate-brown.  It didn't really matter that Buck Russell's example looked like it couldbarely (if at all) pass safety inspection, in comparison to this glistening creampuff.  Every time I see a Mercury Marquis / Marquis Brougham / Thou Marquis of this generation, information technology will probably always remind me of John Candy'due south portrayal of Buck.

Our featured Marquis appeared to be in pristine status, and fifty-fifty the tires were shiny with what might have been Armor All or Tire Moisture.  I could manage only one photograph of it from the forepart passenger's side of the car I was riding in.  I had initially idea virtually making this piece a "Wordless Outtake"… simply then I noticed something.  You know those "Hocus Focus" dual images in the funnies section of the Sunday morning time newspaper?  My mind'due south eye did a double-take, as something seemed slightly unique near this case.  When I was able to become to a proper computer, my suspicions were justified.

I could find no examples on-line of this era of Marquis ii-door that came from the manufactory withopera windows.  The Mercury Cougar XR-7 of the aforementioned vintage had them.  Various Lincolns (Continental Boondocks Auto, Town Coupe, and Marking 4 and Five) for sale at the aforementioned Lincoln-Mercury franchises had them.  But the Marquis?  Not that I could confirm.  Of our featured car, I'd like to think that Uncle Buck finally won large at the horse rails, married his long-fourth dimension girlfriend Chanice Kobolowski, had his Marquis restored, and (heck with it!) had those opera windows installed!  Thank you, John Hughes and John Candy, for often making me laugh until it hurt.

Ft. Myers, Florida.
Friday, December 29, 2017.